A reworking of aim assist for controllers also included in the patch.
V10.40 is the biggest patch Fortnite has ever had in the game’s history. It brings a significant number of changes like adjusted aim assist for controllers, skill-based matchmaking, and a new limited-time mode designed to help players improve their aim, while it may not be stuffed with new weapons or map changes.
Speaking about gameplay, Bouncers are brought back in patch v10.40 which can bounce players into the air and they can land safely by not taking fall damage. For several seasons now, these fan favorite traps have been out of the game. The Combine, a new Limited Time Mode is also added by Epic with this patch which will let players compete for the fastest times on the leaderboard and practice their aim in a training course.
In posts about how aim assist has been reworked and how controller players will have more options to customize their controls, some of this patch’s biggest changes have been already outlined by Epic. A post is also released by Epic that detailed how it will use bots to fill games at certain skill levels as well as the new matchmaking changes
You can see the full v10.40 patch notes with all the changes coming to Fortnite below.
FORTNITE PATCH V10.40 NOTES
WEAPONS AND ITEMS
- Added an audio visualizer icon for proximity beeping.
- Shield Bubbles will bounce off other players when thrown at them.
- Rare trap.
- Drops in stacks of 3.
- Found from Supply Drops, Vending Machines, Llamas, and Floor Loot.
- Can be placed on floors, walls, or ramps/stairs.
- Provides a jump boost in a direction perpendicular to its placement.
- Enabled the Batman Grapnel Gun and Explosive Batarang in Arena and Tournament playlists.
- Resolved an issue in which the Health bars of vehicles would not display.
- When a Junk Rift object hits a player wearing a Bush, it will no longer damage the player instead of the Bush.
- Using a Grapnel Gun to enter a Rift Zone will no longer prevent players from moving around while skydiving.
- Resolved an issue in which players could deploy a Glider while in prop form.
- Being in prop form no longer prevents players from being affected by the Explosive Batarang’s homing.
- Explosive Batarangs will no longer float in the air after the object they are on is destroyed.
- Resolved an issue in which the Zapper Trap would not deploy at the location of the placement preview.
- Shield Bubbles attached to a Supply Drop will no longer disappear after the Supply Drop is destroyed.
- Shield Bubbles can no longer prevent fall damage.
- Shield Bubbles can no longer become stuck in the air.
- Resolved an issue in which Shield Bubbles would not attach to a vehicle when thrown by a player riding the vehicle.
Double XP Weekend!
- Make this weekend double the fun. From Friday, September 27 at 9 AM ET to Monday, September 30 at 9 AM ET, you’ll earn double the XP for the matches you play.
- We’ve introduced improved matchmaking logic to core modes.
- Players are now more likely to match with those of similar skill.
- As players get better, so should their opponents.
- We will slowly roll this out to core modes in all regions as we test and monitor how it performs.
- Please see our blog post for more details.
New Sensitivity and Aim Assist settings on controllers.
- For the details of these, please refer to our blog post.
- Note: When using the new Aim Assist settings, crosshairs turn red while pointed at a target that is within effective range, which is anytime before damage drop-off is applied.
- This new playlist is a great way to get familiar with the controller setting improvements mentioned above!
- Though The Combine is useful for this purpose, it can also be played using “Legacy” controls, mouse + keyboard, or touch.
- The goal in this playlist is to reach the end as fast as possible while eliminating all targets along the way.
- There are leaderboards that allow you to compete for the fastest time with friends or other players.
- Each leaderboard provides options to sort times by your preferred input device.
- A Rift Zone has brought back the ruined neighborhood near Pleasant Park. However, the Rift Zone has given it a homeowners’ association — it’s a nice place to live now!
- The neighborhood is actually so nice that shooting stars make it their destination. Crush the stars to access powerful items, including a never-before-seen weapon!
- Players can now use the crouch input to exit prop form.
Hitmarkers no longer display on teammates.
Removed the Reset Camera control bind.
- Fixed an issue where players could use infinite sprays while in a Rift Zone.
- The building piece choice no longer resets to the wall option when players using a controller have the Reset Building option turned off.
LIMITED TIME MODES
Team Type: Solo | Respawning: Off
A simulation of the end-game scenario in Battle Royale — but with a condensed moving zone! Eliminate the competition as you avoid the Storm closing in. Randomized spawns and inventory items make each round unique.
You can queue with up to 15 friends.
Zone Wars: Colosseum
- Created by Jesgran.
- Become the ultimate gladiator in a Colosseum-like island. This open-style island demands quick building.
Zone Wars: Desert
- Created by JotaPeGame.
- Make your way through a small desert town to the final circle. A diverse set of weapons and mobility allow for unique gameplay and lots of replayability.
Zone Wars: Downhill River
- Created by Enigma.
- Stay out of the storm as you move downhill through a river in this original-style Zone Wars island. Community launch pads and a consistent Storm path allow for familiarity after a few rounds.
Zone Wars: Vortex
- Created by Zeroyahero.
- This island puts a unique twist on Zone Wars with its mountainous terrain to traverse. The elevation change from zone to zone can be quite drastic!
- Resolved an issue in which the sound of a Chest would continue after a player opened the Chest.
- The “Where is Matt” Emote music no longer restarts after every loop.
- The Controls Help option, a menu option meant only for mobile platforms, is no longer present on other platforms.
- The Building Edit option is now located in the Building section of the Input settings rather than the Misc section.
- Match stats no longer clip off-screen during a Victory Royale celebration.
- The “You are in the Storm” warning no longer displays multiple times when switching spectated players.
- The Shield Bubble’s sound effects no longer behave improperly when players scrub a replay.
- Added a 2x multiplier for the Edit/Building sensitivity settings.
- Clarified Look Acceleration Strength tool tip.
- Toggle Targeting is set to on by default.
- Fixed a crash when exiting the Battle Bus on lower-end iOS devices.
- Fixed a crash when switching to Presets with Custom Fire selected in the Fire Mode selection screen.
- The Fire Mode button in the Settings menu will reflect the currently selected Fire Mode.
- Scoped Assault Rifle crosshair now loads on first ADS.
- Players will be able to edit or destroy a floor piece when placed in a 1×1 pre-structured building.
- Players won’t be shot through player-built stairs when crouched beneath them.
- Friend Requests menu won’t display duplicate confirmations.
- Players will now be able to lock in place as a prop in Moisty Palms without HUD Layout alteration.
- Vending Machines will grant the currently displayed item using the dedicated button.
- The Edit with Touch function will now reset when pressing Reset in the settings.
- Push-to-Talk button won’t display a white square when pushed.
- Blueprint will be visible when deploying a Prefab or Gallery with the Retro filter active.
- Selecting Block and Report won’t result in a duplicate blocked user in the Blocked list.
- We’ve made graphical improvements to the following:
- Bunnymoon Outfit
- Axiom Outfit
- Neo Versa Outfit
- Infinity Outfit cape
- Outfits with Jonesy as base model
- Standard Issue Back Bling
- Full Tilt Emote
- Barrels in Dusty Divot
- Floating Island